Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Apropos of Nothing

So I am driving to work and the sportstalk people go to commercial like they do every thirty seconds and NPR is talking about global warming, so I instinctively hit the button for another station, and I hear "Take the Money and Run" by the Steve Miller Band.

Now, I really like Steve Miller (what happened to him?), so I leave it on. Then I hear this verse:
They headed down to, ooh, old El Paso
That's where they ran into a great big hassle
Billy Joe shot a man while robbing his castle
Bobbie Sue took the money and run
Go on take the money and run
Why write a narrative song in which the last word of the chorus is a verb?

If you do that then you can't make the tense shift while maintaining your rhyme scheme. "Bobbie Sue took the money and run"? That's gibberish, man. Think about it.

But what can you expect from a guy who shoves "ooh, old" in front of "El Paso" so that he can rhyme it with "hassle"?

No comments: