Friday, January 22, 2010

It's Been a Political Week

Okay, to recap:

Massachusetts elects a Republican to fill Ted Freaking Kennedy's Senate seat.

The top secret, no one knows what is in it, doesn't really accomplish much but costs a bundle Health Care Reform Bill dies an ignominious death.

Air America crashes and burns. Finally.

Martini, anyone?

Then there is this:



Gays support Obama, who immediately bones them (this is the theme of his first year in office). Cindy McCain steps up does and ad that openly supports of the kind of stuff gays most want from government: equal treatments and respect.

Now I think reasonable people can disagree on these so-called gay issues in good faith. I think it is better to win hearts and minds over time and win at the ballot box than to get courts to fix a perceived problem. I think in the long run gays will get most of what they want (although maybe not in exactly the form they want) because I think most Americans are good, decent people who believe everyone deserves a fair shake.

I don't care if someone is gay; why should I? All I care about is if they are a good person. I think most people feel this way because it's the American Way.

No comments: